Thursday, July 31, 2008

No Real Surprise

So I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that Ken Griffey, Jr. was traded today to the Chicago White Sox for that guy and that other dude. Really, its not all that surprising. I (along with every baseball fan in Cincinnati) saw this coming earlier in the year; once Griffey hit #600, he was expendable to be traded. It was just a matter of if anyone wanted him, and, for whatever reason, the White Sox did. Now, I've waxed poetic about Griffey, so a part of me is sad to see him go. But from a baseball sense, this move is probably a few years overdue. Doc's got a great column about Griffey's time in Cincinnati- he never really fit in and he was never really embraced. Odd, given that this is his hometown, but again, not really surprising. He only came here because he was from here, and it just didn't work out. I've always been a fan of Griffey, and that won't change. I hope he does well in Chicago and I hope he gets a shot at the World Series. He deserves at least one chance at winning it all.

Nine years ago, I thought that when it was all said and done, Griffey would be wearing a Reds cap on his Hall of Fame plaque. Now, not so much. I don't think they are any Mariners cap in Cooperstown; Griffey should be the first.

No comments: