Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Essential Videos 7 - White Wilderness

Its been a while since I've added to my list of "Essential Videos." But thanks to my friend, Hollywood Jeff, I was reminded of the following clip:



Greatest film clip, EVER, don't care that it was faked. I first saw this clip in high school, during biology my junior year (the only redeeming moment of that God-forsaken class). The following year, in my physics class, when we were asked what film loop we wanted to watch on our last day of classes, the answer was almost unanimous- the lemming video from biology the year before (and it beat out the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse, which could also make an appearance in my "Essential Videos" list).

3 comments:

MJM said...

First of all, no way that was faked. You actually see those little fuckers lunge and flail all the way to the water. If this was faked, then so was the holocaust.

Second, the other redeeming moment in Junior year Bio was... "liver... liverliver... liver..." Except that it cost me valuable points that I needed to correct the down-curve we got nailed with 3rd and 4th quarters.

GiantAsianMan said...

No, the lemmings going off the cliff was real. The fake part was the "science" behind the lemming migration; they didn't voluntarily take the plunge. Here's the Wikipedia entry on the clip:

White Wilderness

Apparently there was a rotating platform that pushed the lemmings off the cliff. Which, in my mind, makes the clip that much more awesome.

GiantAsianMan said...

Also, from what I can reacll, we were only down-curved in the 3rd quarter. And as a "make up" (in so much as it was), our final 2nd semester grade was just our 4th quarter grade without averaging in the 3rd quarter grade. Since official transcripts only report semester grades, that down-curved 3rd quarter grade was thrown out and essentially never existed. At least that how I remember it.