Friday, November 7, 2008

Being Aware Of History As It Happens

A comic by Jim Borgman from back in the summer:

Politics really isn't my forte, so I tend to say out of the conversation. I know what I believe in and I don't really care about your opinion, not because I believe that you are wrong but because I believe differing opinions is the basis upon which this country was founded. The two-party system (or, at least the non-single party) ensures that the minority opinion is always heard, regardless of which party happens to be in the minority (and if that sounds like something out of The West Wing, it is). Now, I get the concept of "unity" and all that, but there's a difference between "falling in line" and "working together." "Working together" is what politicians need to do- accept that they differ in ideology but still work toward a common goal. Now, we all know that rarely happens in Washington, but ideally, that's how it would work. However, I never understood the concept of "falling in line" behind a candidate you don't support. I don't believe you need to support your president just because he (or she, someday) is the President. As a democrat, I never supported President Bush, so why should John McCain's supporters back Barack Obama? Why shouldn't they hold onto their beliefs and stand firm on their issues? They're entitled to their opinions (this is America afterall), and they should stand by them (although, it was a little classless for them to boo Obama during McCain's concession speech, not because they shouldn't boo if they believe it, but because it just makes your candidate look bad). However we may disagree, the minority opinion is important in America (though I'd be lying if I didn't say it feel good to finally be in the majority).

Anyway, I don't want this post to be about politics; I want it to be about the event. For him or against him, its obvious to everyone that the election of Barack Obama as President of the United States of America is historic. Regardless of what happens while he's in office, the event of his election is what will be remembered. And what I mean by that is, Jackie Robinson was an incredible baseball player, but his numbers on the field get shadowed (as they should) by his status as the first African-American player in professional baseball. Him being the Majors is far more important and more widely remembered than any of his stats.

Its rare to live through history and be aware of it as its happening. Many people feel that Tuesday's election will become a "where were you" moment in history, and I tend to agree. Usually, events of such magnitude are tragic, like Pearl Harbor, the assassination of Predident Kennedy, or September 11th, but thankfully that't not always the case. I remember talking to my dad about the Apollo 11 moon landing when I was younger; he was working at a motel in State College, PA that night and he remembers letting himself into an empty room and watching the telecast. I think at the time he told me this story he even remembered what room he was in. Moments like that are too few and far between. But I guess if they happened everyday, they wouldn't be worth remembering.

I'm glad Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. I'm glad I went down to Nippert Stadium on November 2 to see him speak in person. I'm glad that when I'm older, I'll be able to say that I was alive when America elected a racial minority to the highest office in the land. It makes me proud, both as a minority and as an American. Great day to be alive.

One final note- as a rabid fan of The West Wing, I find the parallels between this campagin season and that of the shows final years simply mind boggling. I'm sure there are websites out there that have driven the comparisons to death, but I am still amused at how life can imitate art, which was imitating life to begin with. Here's hoping that life doesn't imiate art too much and that Joe Biden doesn't suffer a massive heart attack between now and Inaguration Day. Though if John McCain is named Secretary of State, I might start to get concerned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, McCain isn't anywhere on the radar for SoS. Here's to hoping Obama doesn't name Bill Richardson or John Kerry, though. I have my fingers crossed for Richard Holbrooke.

As for the event itself, I'm kicking myself for not jumping in a car and heading to Chicago on Tuesday morning after I voted. Work is slow in the office and, except for a conference call on Wednesday afternoon, I could have easily made it up and back. As it were, I didn't go to sleep until 2am Wednesday morning anyway, so sleep deprivation obviously wasn't a mitigating factor.

Otherwise, I hope Obama continues the transparency in the next four years that permeated his campaign. What an opportunity to make meaningful progress in this county on a host of issues. And, the fact that an African-American will be leading it all speaks more, I believe, not to how far we've come, but the direction in which we want to head.