Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fantasy Football Failure: Pre-Draft

Okay, new running segment; my (soon-to-be-assembled) fantasy football team.

Let me start off my saying that I am what you would consider an above-casual fantasy football player (I play fantasy baseball, too, and by "play" I mean "someone has to finish last"). I'd say I'm an average (in terms of "ability") fantasy football player, and I generally tend to fare pretty well, but when it comes to fantasy sports, I find it easier just to assume failure (hence the title of the post). I mean, I like fantasy football, but I'm not obsessive about it. I don't go overboard with the analysis, but I like to think I have some idea of what I'm talking about. I like that fantasy football gives me a reason to care about games like Raiders-49ers. I like the distraction from work. I like that its football. But between my fantasy team and my real team (the Bengals), the real team wins out every time.

I guess this will be mainly a weekly update, most likely on Tuesday or Wednesday, reviewing the past week's games, looking at player performance, discussing possible roster moves, and planning ahead to for week. I'll also take any advice any readers (all 4 or 5 of you) might have about my team.

So my live draft is just under an hour from now (we draft on-line; the league I play in consists of friends from college, and with players in places like Texas, Seattle, and Belgium, its kinda tough to get together for a live, in person draft). We've spent the last few years playing over at Yahoo! Sports, but we've made the jump over the ESPN.com this year. I'm not really sure why, I never had a problem with Yahoo!, but I guess some people complained about not having live scoring (as if that really matters), so ESPN.com is it. Over at Yahoo!, I ended up with the #1 pick something like 3 out of the last 5 years, so we'll see what happens this year. Time for some last minute cramming.

No comments: