Monday, August 11, 2008

Manly Man Candle Review

After a long delay, my candles from the Manly Man Candle Company finally arrived over the weekend. And after a couple days of burning each candle for a few hours, my basement smells weird. I probably should have spaced the candles burns out a little longer, or at least tested them in different parts of the house, but whatever. My review of each candle:

Cedar Forest- Subtle, not too strong. I grew up in a cedar house, so I this one takes me back. Of course, I could just make the 5 minute drive and actually go back, but that's neither here nor there.

Coffee Shop- Best one of the group, easily. It smells like a cup of regular black coffee, not like something you get at Starbucks.

Frozen Mountain Air- Not what I was expecting from this candle, but its good none the less. Its supposed to replicate taking a deep breath on a really cold day, when the air is really crisp. Instead, its kind of like taking a deep breath into an a box of Altoids. Again, but bad, but not what I was expecting.

Leather- A little disappointed with this one. On the plus side, its a really subtle scent (as opposed to Frozen Mountain Air, which is pretty strong) that doesn't overpower the room. But its a little more "luxury sedan interior" and a little less "broken in baseball glove," if you know what I mean. I would have preferred a little more of the latter.

Wild Alaska- Pretty much as described on the site; its a good, strong pine scent.

Yarkwork- Holy shit. They weren't messing around when they say "Hayfever and allergy victims beware." This was insanely strong, though that could be my allergies talking. I love the smell of cut grass, but not when its this strong; then, it just drives me crazy.

So that's how my first order from the Manly Man Candle Company shook out. Because of the delay in processing, I got a discount to use with my next order, which I am definitely going to make. Along with larger size orders of Coffee Shop and Wild Alaska, I think I'm going to also try Irish Springtime, Clean Laundry, and Manilla. That is, once my basement loses the coffee-grass-leather-cedar-pine-peppermint scent.

No comments: