Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fantasy Football Failure: Week 3

Current record: 2-0
Total QB points: 3

I said last week that if Palmer had a repeat performance of Week 1, you'd see David Garrard in at QB. Well, Carson followed a "2" in Week 1 with a "1" in Week 2 (at least he didn't drop into the negative points, which was a staple of the QB position on last year's fantasy team). So Palmer's rocking the bench now. Problem is, Garrard hasn't exactly set the world on fire. So where do I turn?

J.T. O'Sullivan.

Yeah, J.T. O'Sullivan. I know he plays for San Fransisco. I know he sounds more like a sit-down, family-oriented, regional-chain restaurant than an NFL QB. But he had a monster Week 2 and he's playing a Detroit team that's given up a lot of points so far. I've won in spite of my QB "production," so anything I can get is just a bonus right now. And really, I can't do much worse.

The other change this week is at TE, where for the second straight week, a Tennessee TE earned me 0 points. So I dropped both of them (Crumpler and Scaife) and picked up Seattle's John Carlson. Seattle's lost approximately 47 WR to injuries through the first 2 weeks of the year, making Carlson Hasselbeck's top target. And if not, no big loss, I'm just looking for a TE that can get me more than 0 points. On to the Week 3 preview.

Week 3 has me up against Seattle Reign, a team helmed by Honseter Ciphers, the Asylum's Pacific Northwest Correspondent. Having already talked smack on his blog, I need to pull out the win. And looking at the lineups, I think I'm in good shape:

QB: J.T. O'Sullivan vs. Tony Romo
RB: Marion Barber vs. Julius Jones
RB: Earnest Graham vs. Ron Dayne
RB/WR: Chris Johnson vs. Chris Chambers
WR: Reggie Wayne vs. Roy Williams
WR: Dwayne Bowe vs. Roddy White
TE: John Carlson vs. Donald Lee
D/ST: Patriots vs. Cardinals
K: Jason Hanson vs. Josh Brown

QB: With Brady out and Peyton Manning still recovering, Romo may be the best QB in the league. He's certainly better than J.T. O'Sullivan, but all I just need is for O'Sullivan to put up any points at all to compliment my other skill position guys (of which I have a big edge this week).

RB: I've got Honester dominated here. Julius Jones is solid, obviously, and he cancels out Marion Barber's production. But Ron Dayne? Earnest Graham and Chris Johnson are on their way to big years, and I was surprised to learn Ron Dayne was still in the league. I make up a lot of points here and give myself a big cushion.

WR/TE: I discussed TE earlier. Carlson is the only real passing threat Seattle has, so he should crush Donald Lee, who isn't getting as many balls thrown his way under Aaron Rogers. Chambers has been solid for San Diego, and White's playing the Chiefs, so there's a chance these guys put up some decent numbers. And he could sub in Bernard Berrian for Roy Williams, if Berrian's healthy (and if he is, he'll have Gus "head butted a concrete wall and threw a pass with the opposite arm" Ferrotte at QB, which, sadly, is an upgrade for them) to boost his numbers. But I expect the same consistent numbers I've been getting out of Wayne and Bowe (though Kansas City is starting some guy they pulled out of the stands at QB), so I'm not worried.

DEF/K: First, props to Jason Hanson last week. I don't expect a lot of points from my K (unlike, say, QB), and I certainly didn't expect Hanson to give me 14 points like he did in Week 2. He went 3-3 on field goals (from 38, 49, and 53) and 2-2 on extra points. I doubt I get that kind of performance this week, but I don't think I'll need it. As for Honester Ciphers, ESPN.com projects his kicker, Josh Brown, for 15 this week, which makes him the second highest projected scorer on Seattle Reign. That can't be a good thing.

On the strength of my RB's and WR's, I think I win big this week. Its rare the at I feel this good about my team, so I'll probably end up losing. Something will inevitably bite me in the ass, be it the football gods smiting me for my over-confidence or the jinx I have of my own blog, but I can sense it coming. But doesn't change my prediction- I win big this week. Bring it on, Mortlaf!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh shit, I have a fantasy team? And with Tony Romo?! Sweet!

My pithy response:

QB: J.T. O'Sullivan makes his waitstaff wear flair.

RB: Yeah, ok, you win. But Dayne is riding pine in favor of Brandon Jackson who will have a career game after Ryan Grant leaves in the first quarter with an exploded hamstring.

WR: I think this is a toss-up. Chris Chambers in the WR/RB slot will probably match or beat the point total of one of your RBs. Roy Williams has been bitching about not getting enough chances, I think this is the week (against SF) that he catches 6 for 110 and 2 TDs.

TE: Most irrelevant position in all of fantasy football.

DEF: The Dolphins have a knack for at least making things difficult for the Pats in recent years. I'm hoping that's the case again this weekend.

K: Josh Brown is indeed the player with the second-highest projected point total on my roster. And he's also the Rams' team leader in fantasy points through 2 games (tied with Bulger and Jackson). But as far as I'm concerned ESPN's projections are crap because they have O'Sullivan out-performing Romo. Still, the only points Hanson will collect are the two XPs he makes after Roy Williams' TDs.


This will be a close one ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I may have misunderestimated JT O'Sullivan.

But I was dead on about the Dolphins giving the Pats hell ;-)

GiantAsianMan said...

Right, because I'm sure that when you said they "have a knack for at least making things difficult" you were talking about the read-option. !-)

Ronnie Brown scored three times on the exact same play. THREE TIMES!!! And a fourth TD came off a variation of the same play. Isn't Belichick supposed to be the master of defensive adjustments? What the hell happened? Guess its a lot tougher without the videotape at halftime.