Monday, September 15, 2008

A Mighty Wind



Holy shit, that was some crazy wind yesterday (and it wasn't exactly blowin' peace and freedom). In total, I've lived nearly 17 years in the Cincinnati area, and I can't ever recall a "storm" like the one we had on Sunday. It was just wind. No rain or other precipitation, no thunder and lightning, no cyclonic formations. Only wind gusts of upwards of 50+ miles an hour. And that shit knocked out power to a huge chunk of the city (myself included- I'm currently sitting in a cafe downtown because there's nothing close to my house with power and wifi).

The lack of other weather factors really screwed me in terms of preparing and dealing with my current no-power situation. I mean, its tough to make "severe weather" preparations when its sunny and 80+ degrees outside. Sure, trees are bending at right angles and patio furniture is flying by the window- there's no real threat, we're still good.

Yeah, not so much.

I been without power since about 2 pm Sunday afternoon. The estamites I've heard for power being restored in my area range from 2 to 5 days. Lovely. I bet that half gallon of milk in my fridge tastes pretty good right now. My office doesn't have any power, either, so this morning it was either sit in the dark and do nothing at home or sit in the dark and do nothing at work (I was at "work" for 2 hours before we decided to call it a day). I drove around a little last night to see what was still open (and because I had to charge my phone), and God help me if I have to buy gas today. I bet it was something like 9 out of 10 gas stations I drove past were closed, and the 1 out of 10 that was open had a line at least 15 cars deep. I saw that a Chipotle was open and thought I might be able to get something to eat, but there had to have been 400 people in there. It was insane (same went for any eatery that was open, which was why I ended up getting something from UDF).

I have no idea what I'm going to do the rest of the day ('cause there's no way I'm sitting here all day). Maybe I'll just drive around and look for places that are still open. Problem there is that I'll eventually have to buy gas. Fuck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could read one of the 8000 books you have yet to read.

GiantAsianMan said...

I could, but that would make too much sense (though I just bought a new headlamp, so unlike last night, reading is now an option). And 8000 books? Seriously, its not a book over 7149.

And speaking of books, I've relocated to the West Chester branch of the Middletown Public Library for my wifi. Much better than that cafe downtown.