Monday, June 30, 2008

Musings From A Long Weekend That Was All Too Short

-920 miles in 52 hours didn't used to be a big deal. Now, that kind of trip drains me. When I got back from Virginia on Sunday, I was exhausted; I spent the rest of the day on the couch, watching television (okay, that's I normally spend a Sunday, but this time I was genuinely tired, and not just being lazy). It made for a long weekend, but it was worth every second.

-The Days Inn in Harrisonburg has the worst "free wi-fi" in the history of hotels. I probably could've gotten a better signal if I sat in the middle of an apartment complex parking lot than the one I was getting (or not getting) in my room. At least I could get a connection long enough to check my fantasy team. That's important, especially with my team battling to stay out of last place.

-I didn't think I'd ever see a car again with a suction-cup Garfield in the window. Can't say that anymore.

-The story of mashed potato wrestling never gets old. I don't care how many years go by (and its already been 6), that one's an all-timer. Maybe I should relay that story here, Tucker Max-style, at some point. Might have to change a few names, though.

-Having a car stereo that allows me to plug my iPod directly into it is the best thing I've had done to my car recently. So much better than f-ing around with an FM transmitter.

-Okay, getting a non-broken driver's seat is the best thing I've done to my car recently. But the new stereo is awesome.

-Jimmy John's is awesome. Even better when it right by your hotel.

-There is no good reason why it should cost $2.50 to drive through West Virginia. I don't even want to think about how much money I've had to pay just to drive through that state. Totally not worth it.

-Not having functioning turn signals makes you seem like an asshole driver. And while that's not far from the truth, I at least like to have the option of signaling when I cut someone off- its rude not to. Its not the bulbs and its not the fuses, so I guess its the wiring. I don't like the direction this diagnosis is headed.

-Gatherings of old friends never last long enough. Despite being there to say goodbye to a friend, it was great to see everyone. I need to get back to Virginia more often. I don't miss living in Virginia, but I do miss the people there. They're my other, other family, and I can't forget that. I need to make it a point to get back at least once a year. And it needs to be a time when a lot of old people are around (both the old old people and the new old people). That time sounds an awful lot like Foxfields. Better start making plans for 2009.

No comments: