Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Why I Shouldn't Have HBO Or Showtime

If I didn't have HBO or Showtime, I'd get a lot more stuff done. My house would be cleaner and I would probably be able to make a dent into the pile to books I've been meaning to read (quickly approaching three dozen, because I can't walk into a Barnes & Noble without buying something; its much like Best Buy in that way). But I do have HBO and Showtime, which means there's always something to watch on television. Sometimes its a movie that I wanted to see, but never got around to, or one of the HBO Sports documentaries. Sometimes its a movie I own on DVD and have seen before, but I watch anyway (because its just too much work to get up and play the DVD). Sometimes its a piece of shit movie that forces me to question my own sanity (its this last scenario that really bothers me). Good or bad, I end up watching it because I can't force myself to change the channel. A brief review of some of the programming I've subjected myself to recently (like, in the past week or so):

-Ocean's Thirteen: I saw this when it was first released and at the time, I remember thinking that it was not as good as the first one (which is a movie I stop and watch whenever its on anywhere; more on that later), but better than the second one (which I saw again, too, and man, what a bad movie; it had plenty of funny lines, but the plot holes are egregious, even for a heist movie. After watching it again, I think that's still valid.

-The Negotiator: I like think movie. Love Kevin Spacey and Sam Jackson, and this movie's an enjoyable mystery/action flick.

-Snakes on a Plane: Still awesome.

-Drive Me Crazy: Holy shit, this movie sucked. Big time (but Puddin's having a Britney Spears flashback). This one falls squarely into the "forces me to question my own sanity" category. Clarissa explaining it all to Vinnie Chase? Really? And what's with Ali Larter playing the arty, unpopular chick? Who made that casting call? I was so ashamed I sat through this one I almost canceled my service when it was over. It was terrible.

-The Back Nine At Cherry Hills: This was fantastic. HBO Sports rarely misses with their "Sports of the 20th Century" series, and this was no exception. If you like golf, you've got a catch this. It recalls the story of the 1960 US Open at Cherry Hills County Club, won by Arnold Palmer (his only US Open title). In contention at this tournament were Palmer, on the verge of taking his place as golf's premier star, Ben Hogan, golf's old guard, clearly at the tail end of his remarkable career, and Jack Nicklaus, a young amateur who was still a few years away from becoming "The Bear." The program documented the back stories of each of these golfing legends, leading them to the final round at Cherry Hills. Incredible to think that these three players all converged to complete for the same title.

-Do You Believe In Miracles?: Another great HBO Sports program. I wasn't alive for this, but I get chills when I hear Al Michaels call at the end of the game. Maybe the most famous call in sports history (well, at least top three).

While most of the things I watch on HBO or Showtime I catch whenever, I find that I watch Do You Believe In Miracles? whenever its on. Other movies I watch whenever they're on: Ocean's 11 (mentioned that above; just a cool, fun movie); Drumline (movie sucks, but I love the music; I actually used to hate In The Stone because we tried to play it in college and failed miserably, but now I love that song); Star Wars, Empire, Jedi (well, duh); Lord of the Rings (well, duh); The Shawshank Redemption (another example, along with Field of Dreams where the movie was better than the book, or, in this case, novella); Band of Brothers (okay, not technically a movie, but still awesome).

Time to go see what's on the magic box. Hopefully its something awesome, and not something suck. Because I'm going to watch either way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And this is what happens during the summer (which sucks now that school is no longer a factor.) During the fall/winter/spring I never ventured to HBO and the like because there was always plenty of good tv on. But now, I find myself gravitating towards HBO and watching, like you, anything that is on, regardless of quality. It's like playing Russian Roulette with either outcome being tolerable.